IMPERIAL COUNTY: Larry Lewis, who has been Pioneers Memorial Healthcare District CEO since 2012, has been hired to lead the Imperial County Local Health Authority. The announcement was made at the commission meeting on Oct. 10. He will assume responsibilities with the health authority on Nov. 14. We thank Larry for his years of service on the HASD&IC board and for his leadership at Pioneers to enhance the health and well-being of Imperial County communities. We wish him the best in his next endeavor and look forward to working with him in his new role.
REMINDER — CDPH LEADERSHIP UPDATES AND DISTRICT SESSION: In case you missed it, on Nov. 10, the California Hospital Association will host its annual meeting between members and the Center for Health Care Quality (CHCQ) at the California Department of Public Health (CDPH). This is an opportunity for hospital staff to hear from the leadership of the CHCQ and connect with CDPH District Office leaders. Topics to be discussed include:
- COVID-19: Where is it going and what is ahead when the public health emergency ends?
- Monkeypox (MPX): What hospitals are seeing and what is CDPH planning for?
- CDPH’s plans for relicensing and recertification surveys
Similar to previous years, attendees will break out into meetings for Q&A with their CHCQ District Office representatives.
ADDRESSING HOMELESSNESS: The Regional Task Force on the Homeless Conference is set for Nov. 30-Dec. 1. The conference, which will have a focus on “Solutions for San Diego,” is an opportunity to get stakeholders, those who work in the field, and everyone with an interest in reducing homelessness in our region together in one place. For two days, attendees will have the opportunity to learn, discuss, and collaborate. National, state, and local leaders and experts who will come together in support of San Diego and its goals to reduce homelessness include:
- Ann Oliva: CEO, National Alliance to End Homelessness
- Amanda Misiko Andere: CEO, Funders Together to End Homelessness
- Iain De Jong: President & CEO, OrgCode Consulting, Inc.
- Gregg Colburn: Co-Author, “Homelessness is a Housing Problem”
- Donald Whitehead: Executive Director, National Coalition for the Homeless
- Representatives from USICH
- Local Elected Officials
MEDICARE MEDI-CAL PLANS (MMPS): As part of the California Advancing and Innovating Medical program, MMPs (a type of Medicare Advantage plan available to people with both Medicare and Medi-Cal) will be open for enrollment during the Medicare open enrollment period, which began Oct. 15 and runs through Dec. 7. These new MMP plans will replace Cal MediConnect plans in seven California counties: Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Mateo, and Santa Clara. During the 2022 Medicare Annual Enrollment Period, dual-eligible beneficiaries will have the option to voluntarily join an MMP, with a start date of Jan. 1, 2023. To enroll, individuals can contact their preferred plan or call (800) MEDICARE. For more information and a list of MMPs in each county, visit the MMP web page. Additional information is available on the Future of Cal MediConnect web page.
LOAN REPAYMENT AND SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM APPLICATION CYCLES: The Department of Health Care Access and Information has the following open applications. The cycles close Oct. 31. For more information, visit the program pages:
- Allied Healthcare Loan Repayment Program
- Bachelor of Science Nursing Loan Repayment Program
- Licensed Vocational Nurse Loan Repayment Program
- Licensed Mental Health Services Provider Education Program
- Steven M. Thompson Physician Corp Loan Repayment Program
- Advanced Practice Healthcare Scholarship Program
- Allied Healthcare Scholarship Program