Duties and Responsibilities
- Establishes and maintains trusted and effective working relationships with association members, community leaders, government officials, coworkers, and other stakeholders in order to advance the interests of the association and its members.
- Develops and manages regional policy consensus processes addressing local issues and linking local member needs and interests to Hospital Association public policy development.
- Designs and implements local advocacy programs supporting the interests of member hospitals with county government, local agencies of state government and other entities responsible for local regulation and health care funding.
- Provides staff leadership to member CEO committee for local advocacy and grass roots consensus development, member association information exchange, and member participation in the policy processes of the Hospital Association.
- Regularly reports significant accomplishments and activities, local hospitals and local government in Bi-Weekly Briefing, board reports and general mailings and presentations.
- Meets regularly with key local community organizations representing HASD&IC’s interests and public policy goals. This includes formal, on-going communication links with the local medical society.
- Convenes member hospitals, county agencies, and key community organizations to develop and implement programs identified as critical to members that support priorities identified by member hospitals and the HASD&IC Board.
- Monitors the availability, engagement, and utilization of association services by member hospitals; assures that member needs are met where possible.
- Manages the budgeted resources and contributes to the planning processes.
- Supports HASD&IC member retention and recruitment programs; meets regularly with member hospitals and actively recruits non-member prospects.
- Demonstrates behaviors that are aligned with the association’s core values.
- Performs other duties as assigned or as the situation dictates.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of hospitals and physician groups and the regulatory environment in which they function is essential, as well as knowledge of county government operations.
- Demonstrated skills in:
- Oral and written communications
- Problem resolution
- Active listening and consensus building
- Data analysis
- Strategic planning
- Organizing/conducting meetings
- Public speaking
- Demonstrated abilities in:
- Coalition building between diverse groups and individuals
- Management of government relations grassroots program development / fundraising
- Problem identification/analysis, program design of solutions
- Negotiation of complex issues and programs with public officials and community leaders
Education and Experience
This position requires the knowledge and skills typically acquired through completion of a bachelor’s degree in healthcare and/or business administration. A Master’s degree is preferred, but not required. Five years progressively responsible administrative experience in a hospital or healthcare setting, with a minimum of three years at the management level.
This position requires frequent local travel and occasional long-distance travel. If the incumbent uses his or her own vehicle for transportation, they must have a valid driver’s license and carry auto insurance in the amounts and type required by law. The successful candidate will be required to reside in the San Diego area.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
HASD&IC is a great place to work with highly competitive compensation and benefits package. If this position fits with your background and interests and you have the qualifications listed above, we’d love to hear from you!
Click Here to download the Vice President position description.
Click Here to submit your resume and cover letter.
Because we are a federal contractor, we are required to make sure you know that all qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, gender identification, sexual orientation or any other legally protected characteristic, or disability.